Thursday, December 4, 2008

September 22, 2008 - Where Was Reevis?

**This is from the archives...

It's good to be back in Huntington and back on the Planet, but where have I been? I was in Austin, Texas at a radio convention. Lot of learning, sessions, panels, refreshing and that kind of stuff, but I've got a say, Austin knows how to entertain! We had some real star power at the convention.

The highlight of the convention for me was the fact that Motley Crue & Sixx: AM's Nikki Sixx was featured at one of the sessions. He talked about his career, which includes being the leader of Motley Crue, an author, a fashion designer, and more. It was very cool and interesting. After the session -- I had to try to get an autograph and a picture, right? It's Nikki Sixx! So, like a groupie, I stood by the door that he would be coming out of for about 20 minutes, and finally got to meet him-- had him sign my "Heroin Diaries" book.

Earlier that afternoon at one of the luncheons, we had Wayne Brady as our entertainment. You know, the guy from "Whose Line is it Anyway," "The Wayne Brady Show," and other shows. I kept thinking about when "The Dave Chappelle Show" said "white people love Wayne Brady because he made Bryant Gumbel look like Malcolm X." He has a new album out and he's trying to get some pop radio stations to play it, so he performed a few songs, and I've got to say, it's not my favorite type of music, but it was a helluva performance -- great band, and he's got a great voice. "I'm Wayne Brady bitch!"

One night I was having a couple of beers with some radio and record dudes, when I was invited up into a hotel room. I won't lie, I was a little nervous, it was my first convention, I was thinking there was going to cocaine, heroin, and hookers up there...sadly it was just an empty hotel room. But one of the record guys took us up there to hear the new Nickelback song "If Today Was Your Last Day." It's not even out yet, but we'll have it on the Planet in less than 10 days, and we're even working out a way for you to download it for free at Planet927.com all day when it first comes out. If you love Nickelback, you'll love the song. I got to hear it twice, and it's been stuck in my head all week. It sounds like a cross between "Someday" and "Photograph." The album will be out in November, tour to follow this winter.

If you love beer, live music and bars, then you need to move to Austin! That's all it is! It is the self-proclaimed "Live Music Capital of the World," and I'm not disagreeing. Every type of band was playing every where, and best of all, no cover charges!

One last celebrity sighting. Down in the hotel lobby, and there was this tall, blonde hot chick getting a drink right in front of me. I thought she was just another hot Texas cowgirl, but a someone pointed out to me that she was Adrianne Palicki, one of the stars from the TV show "Friday Night Lights." I guess she was staying there, because apparently they film the show in Texas. Google her if you don't know what she looks like -- hot. She also has a nice lower back tattoo (tramp stamp!).

To wrap this up, I saw one of the coolest shock-value t-shirts I've ever seen in my life. It simply said, "F#&k Ya'll, I'm From Texas." I hope you enjoy your new t-shirt, Dad!