Thursday, January 29, 2009

I still like winter, but...power outages, off the air, leaks? Com'on!

This past week of winter has sucked! Thousands went and are without power! Trees were down everywhere. The roads were crap. And it has REALLY screwed with things here at the Planet.

It started Tuesday when I got a call from Nate saying he wasn't going to be able to make it in. He lives in Crown City, Ohio. He said he was snowed in. So we had to fill his shift -- the Dirtman took care of that.

I was able to get to the station just fine. I live about two miles away, so not many problems, it was a little slick, but that was it. And for the most part, the rest of the day went really well. It's fun working in radio when the weather is acting up. You feel like you are providing a public service -- letting people know what roads are in bad shape, where accidents have happened, announcing school and business closings -- it's different from your normal days.

Then, as the night went on, we know what happened next -- the ice came, and it came, and it came! My parents lost their power, and all of our radio stations went off the air during the middle of the night. It came back on for a few hours that morning at like 10 a.m.

So I'm driving in Wednesday morning, again Nate couldn't make it in, and one of my coworkers calls me and wants to give me a heads up that the Planet studio is leaking. What does that mean? I walk in, go straight to our studio, and see that it is a train wreck!

There are like five trash cans collecting water that is more than just leaking from the studio -- it was raining from the studio! I put in one more trash can -- it still didn't do any good. Water was everywhere. Our I.T. bought a few tarps to cover up the equipment.

So around noon, we go completely off the air. You could only hear us online. That's the worse thing in radio. I still did my shift for the people that may have been listening online! I did a few breaks holding an umbrella just to prove a point! The station came back on the air around 5:30 p.m. that evening.

Today, things are kind of back to normal. When you first walk in, it smells like ass in here! You know that musty smell of water. The ceiling in the studio is brown from the water. The floor is pretty dirty looking (even though it was always kind of dirty).

I like snow and winter, but this has been a little much!

Check out the video below to see what we were dealing with yesterday...