Monday, February 23, 2009

My Day's at the Showboat Marina

I don't know if you've heard about this yet, but the Showboat Marina and the Cajun Kitchen are under the waters of the Ohio River, which is really sad news to me -- I grew up there! Check out the picture from the Herald-Dispatch (http://www.hdonline.com/)...



My parents used to have a boat there, so when I was a kid I was there pretty much every weekend, and if we weren't on the boat we were eating at the Cajun Kitchen.

Then, I actually worked at the marina one summer when I was in high school, which was one of the worst jobs I ever had, but it was also one of the most fun summers of my life!

Why the job sucked:

1. TRASH DAY. On Monday's, I had to empty out all of the trash cans on all of the docks. Doesn't sound too bad, it's just a couple of trash cans, right? Yeah, true, but after a weekend of boating those trash cans will be overflowing, with more trash and bags sitting next to the trash cans than in them! Hopefully you're not reading this during your lunch break because a lot of time there would be maggots every where in them! Yeah, sorry. If there weren't maggots, the smell of warm beer and leftover food would do it for you!

2. THIS ONE BOAT. This one guy, boat this one boat that was crappy to begin with, but he wanted to have it refinished from top to bottom. So it was my job to do the bottom part -- literally. We sandblasted the bottom part of the boat, so I would be laying on my back under this boat (the boat was out of the water, obviously), spraying the bottom with the sand and just getting covered and blinded by the sand! Then once it was smoothed out and ready to go, then I had to tar it! So again, laying on my back, just painting back in forth this tar on the huge-ass bottom part of this boat. And yes, gravity was not my friend with tarring the boat because it would drip all over me! Once that job was done I was very happy!

3. OVERALL REASON: MANUAL LABOR. I suck at manual labor. I am clueless. Hanging a picture at my house is a big deal; I feel like I've really accomplished something. So there, I felt stupid, I would be told to grab a tool, and get the wrong one half of the time!

Why it was one of the best summers ever:

1. WATER: I love water -- ponds, lakes, rivers, oceans -- whatever, I just love watching the water. So it was always cool to get to work near the water -- it seemed to make the days go by fast! You could also jump in every now and then to cool off if you needed to.

2. RANDOM THINGS: Random things were always happening at the boat dock. I don't know if you remember this, but that summer (I think the summer of 1999) a little fishing boat hit a barge head on right by the marina. A couple of the guys survived the crash, but one guy was missing. So that next morning, the Coast Guard, Police and other agencies pretty much took over the marina. I was told to grab some doughnuts for everyone, then me and boss went to the movies -- that was a crazy couple of days until they found the guy (yeah, he was dead).

3. THE CAJUN KITCHEN: Dude, lunch and dinner was awesome, because we always ate at the Cajun Kitchen, which had some great food!

4. NOT A PUSSY ANYMORE: I felt like I grew up a little bit that summer. I was always a little, clueless, pussy of a kid, and that summer -- I started to get "it." I started to become a man (I know, I'm a pussy for writing this part!). But I was like 16 when I started there, so you know what I mean.

I'm sure there are some more reasons why the job sucked, and why it rocked, but there are a few decent stories about my summer at the Showboat Marina and the Cajun Kitchen. But anyway, it really sucks that the whole damn marina is looking like the Titanic.