Monday, March 2, 2009

Buckcherry, Avenged Sevenfold & Papa Roach: Pikeville Rocks!

Went down to Pikeville, Kentucky last week to check out Buckcherry, Avenged Sevenfold and Papa Roach at the Eastern Kentucky Expo Center, and saw a great rock show!

Saving Abel were the openers, but we didn't get down there in time. As we walked in Papa Roach were doing their thing, and they are a great live band! It's hard to believe, but Papa Roach have been around for 10 years! But after you see them live (this was my fourth time), and they do hit after hit, you're like, "wow, I guess they have been around for 10 years!" They have so many killer songs that they even skip over a few of their singles like "Take Me," and "She Loves Me Not." The new songs are awesome live -- "Hollywood Whore" and "Lifeline." I can't wait for their new album Metamorphosis, which comes out on March 24.

Next on stage was Avenged Sevenfold. This was the band that I was most anxious to see, because I had never seen them! From the moment the curtain dropped I was hooked! The opened with the first track on the new album, which has an organ part at the beginning, and then just tore into their set! It was pretty badass from start to finish. I've been listening to their stuff a lot lately ever since I saw them.

Then it was time for the headliners -- Buckcherry. This was my fourth time seeing Buckcherry (and sixth time seeing lead singer Josh Todd -- he did a little solo thing while Buckcherry were split up). Buckcherry's another band that has been around for a long time -- their debut album came out in 1999 (but again they were split for about three years)! Live, they are a great Rock n Roll Band -- just down & dirty, and take the waitress home with you Rock n Roll -- exactly what I like!

Side note -- the Eastern Kentucky Expo Center is a great venue for shows. It's not too big, not too small, it's new, it's clean, it's nice -- but the whole time I was driving down U.S. 23, I was like, "are you sure there's an arena down here?" "In Pikeville?!"